You can’t beat this savory, crispy, and sweet combination.
2 packages ready made puff pastry
1 lb ground meat (beef, chicken, veal or even a meat substitute)
1 medium onion (approximately 1.5 cups chopped)
1 tbs oil
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp coriander
1 tsp (2 cloves) garlic
1 tsp salt
Black pepper to taste
1 tsp chili pepper (optional)
1 egg, beaten
1. Heat a skillet to medium heat. When the oil gets hot add the onions and cook until they just start to become transluscent, about 2 minutes. Add the meat and cook for about 4 minutes until it starts to cook through. Add the spices and garlic and continue to cook another 2 – 3 minutes. Set aside to cool. And prepare your dough.
2. Lay out your puff pastry sheets. Cut each sheet into 6 pieces. Work quickly so the butter in the dough doesn’t completely melt! The pieces will be more rectangular than square. This is ok! You can pull them into a square shape as you stuff them. Cutting the dough into only 6 pieces leaves you with a flakier pastry around the meat.
3. Gently shape each piece into a square. Place 1 tablespoon of meat into one corner of the square, with enough space around the edge to fold it over into a triangle. Close the edges by lifting the bottom part of the pastry triangle up and over the upper part. Place on a baking sheet or cookie tray and leave a little room for the pastry to puff up!
4. Brush with the egg. This gives it that golden color.
5. Bake in the oven at 400 degrees for 5 minutes. Reduce heat to 375 after 5 minutes and cook an additional 15 minutes. Pastry should be golden brown.
6. Remove from heat and allow to cool for 5 minutes. Dust with powdered sugar and crushed pistachios and serve.