Lamb Shank Prep Ingredients
Two Lamb Shanks
1 Carrot Chopped
1 Onion Chopped
Oil for Sautee
1 Teaspoon Salt
1 Teaspoon Chili Powder
2 Teaspoons Ground Coriander
2 Teaspoons Ground Cumin
1 Teaspoon Tumeric
Cracks of Black Pepper
1 Tablespoon Ginger-Garlic Paste
2 Tablespoons of Tomato Paste
Afghan Green Chutney (click for recipe)
Qurut (or Kashk) (click to buy in store)
Rest of Ingredients
2 Large Tomatoes
Afghan Bread (can substitute pita chips if no Afghan bread)
2 Cans Red Kidney Beans
1. Turn Instant Pot or pressure cooker on for sauté. Put oil in and sauté onion and carrot. Then add spices, ginger garlic-paste and tomato paste. Put in your lamb shanks to brown on outside.
2. Once browned, add your water so that you can properly pressure cook your meat. Add water and scrape all the good bits off the bottom of your cooker before cooking. I pressure cooked mine on an instant pot for almost 30 minutes. It fell off of the bone.
3. While that is cooking, soak your cut up onions in some water, a little salt, and a splash of white wine vinegar. This will take the edges off the onions. After they sit for a while when ready drain the salt mixture out.
4. Cut up your tomatoes.
5. Take drained onions and combine with tomatoes, add dried mint, and lemon juice. These are your fresh veggies for the nachos.
6. Cut your Afghan bread up into chip size pieces. Fry in a skillet until crispy. Drain. Then go back to the lamb.
7. Take your lamb out and pull it off the bone with a fork and shred.
8. Make your lubya or simple bean mixture using your kidney beans in a pot with your juice from the lamb shank mixture. Stir that around for a few minutes and make sure the beans have taken on the flavor of the meat juice. Salt to taste.
9. You have all your toppings ready except the green chutney and qurut (kashk). You can purchase these, or use our recipe for the chutney. It is delicious freshly made.
10. Assemble your nachos just like American-style!