This is an Afghan-inspired donut. The dough is flavored with sheer chai milk tea and the filling is a traditional Afghan firini pudding.
Firini Fillings Recipe and Ingredients Here
Masala Flavoring Ingredients
3/4 Cups Milk
Pinch of Saffron
1/2 Teaspoon of Cardamom
Donut Dough Ingredients
3/4 Cup Milk (warm)
1 Packet of Yeast
1/8 Cup of Sugar
2 Eggs Beaten
3.5 Cups of Flour
1 Stick of Butter (melted and cooled)
1/2 Teaspoon of Salt
Vegetable Oil for Frying
Lid full of Rose Water
1 Black Tea Bag
1. the First step, make your firini pudding filling.
2. Next, prepare your chai base. In the pot place your 3/4 Cup milk, pinch of saffron, and 1/4 teaspoon of cardamom. Bring to boil and let simmer, then set aside and let steep.
3. Next, prepare your yeast mixture. In bowl, add yeast, warm milk, and sugar. Let it get nice and foamy.
4. Pull out your stand mixer. Then, add your yeast mixture, your chai, two beaten eggs, and 1 stick of butter melted and cooled.
5. Start your mixer and add your 3.5 Cups of flour 1/2 Cup at a time. Once your dough has come together, roll it out on your kneading surface.
6. Knead dough until it stops sticking to the surface. Watch the video to get the right consistency. Don’t over-knead.
7. Place dough back in a greased bowl and cover. Let double in size. This takes about 1 hour.
8. After dough has rested, take out and roll to 1/2 inch thickness. Cut with cookie cutter or any other round donut shape cutter.
9. Again, let them rest for about 40 minutes on tray after you have cut out your donut dough.
10. Now, prepare to fry your donuts. Get your vegetable oil to about 320 degrees. Prepare a cookie sheet with a rack on top to place your donuts on to cool and drain after you cook each one. Let them all cool before filling.
11. Now, prepare your glaze. This is a simple mixture of milk, powdered sugar, and the rose water. Mix thoroughly.
12. Once donuts have cooled, fill your donuts with the firini pudding and then glaze and cover with any toppings you like. I use pistachios and rose petals.
3. In your stand miker