This is a delicious apple upside down cake inspired by Afghan flavors.
3 Apples Thinly Sliced
Juice of one Lemon
1 teaspoon of vanilla
1 teaspoon of rose water
1 teaspoon of cinnamon
1 Tablespoon of cornstarch
1 Cup of Flour
1 Cup of Milk (warmed and steeped with saffron)
6 Tablespoons Melted Butter
1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
1/2 Teaspoon of Salt
1/2 Cup Slivered Almonds
1/2 Cup Raisins
1. Preheat your oven to 350 F.
2. Get your milk and warm in saucepan and drop saffron in to steep. Let cool.
3. In one bowl add your batter ingredients: flour, sugar, saffron infused milk, 4 tablespoons melted butter.
4. Next make your bowl for your fruit mixture: thinly sliced apples (not too thin), lemon juice, cinnamon, vanilla, lemon juice, and cornstarch. Mix.
5. In your skillet, melt two tablespoons of butter. Then add your apple mixture, cook down until the apples are a little golden but not mushy at all. Add rose water and top with the slivered almonds.
6. Next, pour your batter over the apples and then place in your preheated oven for about 30-40 minutes until golden brown on top and a toothpick comes comes clean out of the middle.
7. Serve with some sheer chai.