Afghan bolani is a stuffed bread recipe. Traditionally fried, more recently baked for health reasons. I’ve decided that there has to be a happy medium so I tried air frying. It is perfect. You can keep the crispy without all of the oil.
Traditionally your bolani would be filled with leeks or potatoes. Leeks mainly. This one has ground beef and sweet potatoes for a more nutrient dense and filling mixture.
Bolani Filling Ingredients
1 Large Sweet Potato
1.5 lb Ground Beef
3 Onions finely diced
1 tbs oil
1 tsp turmeric
2 tsp cumin
2 tsp coriander
1 tbs Ginger Garlic Paste
1 tsp Salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
3 Cups Flour
2 tsp oil
2 tsp salt
1 1/4 Cups water
1. Microwave or boil your sweet potato until fork tender.
2. Brown your meat in all of the spices.
3. Next, 0nce meat and spices are done, add onion. Cook for 3-5 minutes or until slightly translucent.
4. Drain the water from your softened sweet potato and mash in a bowl. Add 1/4 tsp of salt.
5. Pour cooked meat mixture over sweet potato mash and mix. The mixture must cool before you make your bolani.
6. Add flour to mixing bowl.
7. Next, Add oil and salt to flour.
8. I use a stand mixer. Use the dough hook attachment. Slowly add your water to bowl with mixer on low.
9. Your dough will form and it should be fairly dense. Knead dough in mixer for about 3 minutes in mixer, or 5-6 minutes if by hand.
10. After that, wrap dough in plastic wrap and let rest for 20 minutes.
Final Assembly of Bolani
11. Preheat your air-fryer.
12. Take your dough and cut into 8 equal pieces. Then roll each piece into a ball and cover all but one in plastic wrap on a baking sheet.
13. Next, take your first dough ball and roll out with rolling pin into circle.
14. After this take your filling and place onto one half of your dough. Wet edges of dough lightly with finger, folder dough over, and crimp edges with a fork or your finger.
15. Make sure your Air Fryer is now on 380 degrees F.
16. Spray oil into air fryer tray and then place your bolani in the air fryer. Also lightly spray top of bolani with oil or brush with oil.
17. Let bolani cook for about 8 minutes or until the top is lightly golden brown.
1. Filling must be cooled before assembling bolani.
2. Make sure to let that dough rest.
3. Truly it must be served with our yogurt sauce and chutney. You can make my recipe it is so easy.