Let’s make a mint chocolate chip ice cream recipe!
As the weather starts to warm up, there is nothing like a fresh bowl of mint chocolate chip ice cream to cool you down. This recipe is easy to follow and only requires a few simple ingredients that you may already have in your kitchen.
You will not find any artificial colors or flavors in this ice cream – it is all-natural! And if you are lucky enough to have some mint growing in your garden, then you are really in for a treat.
Why use cornstarch in ice cream?
Some people may be wondering why this recipe calls for cornstarch. While it may seem like an odd ingredient, cornstarch helps to thicken the ice cream and prevents it from becoming too icy. Trust me, you are going to want to add this step!
Why use fresh mint in ice cream?
Fresh mint has a much brighter flavor than mint extract, so you will get a nice punch of mint in every bite.
And since there is no food coloring, the ice cream will have a beautiful pale green color – just like springtime!
Now for the Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream Recipe
As always, we have our easily printable recipe below. A few tips to remember.
First, when the ice cream is done you have two options. If you eat it immediately, it will have a “soft-serve” texture. It is delicious this way. However, if you like a more traditional ice cream texture, let it sit in the freezer for a few hours or overnight. Delicious either way.
You can use green food coloring if your kids don’t understand mint ice cream without dark green. Either way tastes the same.
Looking for an interesting recipe idea? Try our Afghan Nachos.
Are you a fan of Afghan Cooks and want to help spread the word? Well, social media is critical. Finally, don’t forget us on social media. We are on Tik-Tok, Instagram, and Youtube.
We also have a wonderful non-spammy Afghan Cooks Club. Sign up for that too!
Want Secret Recipes? News Updates?
Subscribe to our Afghan Cooks Club now. (free secret recipe for signing up)
Homemade Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream Recipe: A Fresh Springtime Treat
This mint chocolate chip ice cream is all natural. You’ll never buy store-bought ice cream again.
1 Cup Heavy Cream
2 Cups Whole Milk
3 Tablespoons Cornstarch
1 Bunch of Fresh Mint
1 Cup of Sugar
1/4 Teaspoon Salt
1. In the bowl, add 1 cup cream and 1 cup whole milk. Stir. Then, add this mixture to your pot.
2. Bring mixture to a simmer. Add your sugar as soon as the mixture comes to a low simmer.
3. Once all the sugar is dissolved, throw all of your mint in the pot. Keep the mixture at a low simmer—just tiny bubbles around the edge. You just need to cook it with the mint for about 1 minute. I just want the mint soft enough to release the oils while it steeps.
4. Then, let the mixture steep for about 2 hours. This step is critical. This is where all the flavor comes from.
5. Next, take one cup of milk and stir in your cornstarch. Make sure it is well mixed.
6. Pour milk/cornstarch liquid into the mint mixture. Add your salt at this time as well. Keep on heat until it starts to thicken up. You can see from the video that you can use the “swipe” method to see if it is thick enough.
7. This next step is essential. Let the mixture cool off before placing it in the ice cream maker. It needs to be completely cool, or you will have water in your ice cream, and it will be icy. Ideally, put it in your fridge overnight.
8. Next, take your mixture and place it in your ice cream maker. Just follow your directions.
9. When the ice cream is close to being done, mix in your chocolate chips.
I have used this Whynter ice cream maker for 5 years. It has made over a hundred batches of ice cream. It is not the cheapest, but also not the most expensive. I definitely recommend that you purchase one!