Sheer pira is Afghan milk fudge. It is hugely popular in Afghanistan. I was born in Kandahar but moved here at 18 months in the early 70s. Growing up in America, we didn’t eat much of this, but I have grown to love it. Let’s make it.
What’s Unique about Afghan Sheer Pira?
Well, Afghan fudge typically has all of your most popular Afghan flavors pistachios, sometimes rose, etc. I use three kinds of nuts in this recipe: almonds, pistachios, and walnuts. You can use almost any kind of nut you have in the house.
Also, this recipe has salt in it! It is not as decadent tasting as American fudge and goes perfectly with a glass of Afghan chai.
Printable Afghan Sheer Pira Recipe and My Socials.
As always, we have a quick and easily printable recipe below. If you like this recipe, please leave a review. The more reviews you get, the better the search engines like our videos. Also, please take a minute to subscribe to our YouTube video channel. Leave a comment!
Did you see a kitchen appliance that I used and loved it? I’ve put all the things here in my influencer store. I get a small commission if you buy anything, and you help support these free recipes!
Want Secret Recipes? News Updates?
Subscribe to our Afghan Cooks Club now. (free secret recipe for signing up)
Afghan dopiaza is a classic dish made with onions “two ways.”
2.5 pounds of bone-in meat (lamb, beef, or goat)
2 Tablespoons of cooking oil.
4 Large Onions
2 Cups of Split Lentils (yellow is traditional)
3 Garlic Cloves Crushed
1 Teaspoon Salt
1 Teaspoon Tumeric
Ground Black Pepper
4 Cups of Water
1. First, prepare your onions. Slice the onions very thin. Take half and set them aside. Take the other half and soak it in white vinegar for quick pickling.
2. Next, heat your pressure cooker so that you can saute. Add your cooking oil. Saute the onions until soft.
3. While the onions soften, simmer your lentil until soft in a different pot.
4. Add your crushed garlic cloves to the pressure cooker, and add your meat.
5. Now add some simple spices. The focus of the flavor is the meat and onions. Add your salt, pepper, and tumeric.
6. Then pour your 4 Cups of water over the meat. Stir.
7. Cook in your Instant Pot on high pressure, meat, and for 30 minutes.
8. For the base, you want to lay some thin bread over your platter. Then, spoon your meat. Add your cooked lentils over it and then, finally, add your pickled onions.
Goes great with some Afghan bread.
Want to try a new kind of fudge? Make Afghan Sheer Pira.
2 Cups Water
2 Cups Sugar
2 1/2 Cups Milk Powder
1 Teaspoon Cardamom
1 Teaspoon Rose Water
1/2 Teaspoon of Salt
A handful of nuts of your choice (I like pistachios at a minimum!)
1. First, prepare your baking sheet. I use a square one. Line with parchment paper, grease the parchment and clip down on the sides.
2. Now, you will make your sugar syrup. Take your sugar and water and bring the water to a boil in a saucepan.
3. Then, reduce your mixture to a simmer for about 15 minutes. You want a lovely syrup.
4. After 15 minutes, you will add your milk powder. Stir in. Also, add your cardamom, rose water, and salt. You want a lovely batter-like texture. Fold in your chosen nuts.
5. Now, bring out your prepped baking pan and pour in. I then decorate it with a few more pistachios. Let set for at least 2 hours or overnight.
6. Cut fudge into squares and serve with some Afghan chai.